With Game 1 of the 2016 NBA Finals set to tip-off in a little under 24 hours, I have been feeling reminiscent. I mean, how can you not love the NBA Finals? For me, it’s chill city before the game even starts once the ABC introduction begins. And I know the NBA playoffs has its critics, but I mentioned yesterday how the NBA Finals is as epic as any sporting event, with the Super Bowl being the only possible exception. So with this in mind, I felt like ranking the best games in the Finals since 2000. I made the cut off at 2000 because I frankly don’t have the knowledge to elaborate on what made the 1969 NBA Finals so great, for instance. Plus, I think it’s more fun to talk about stuff that has happened more recently.
12) 2010, Game 5: Boston over Los Angeles
11) 2012, Game 4: Miami over Oklahoma City
10) 2006, Game 3: Miami over Dallas
9) 2010, Game 7: Los Angeles over Boston
8) 2005, Game 7: San Antonio over Detroit
7) 2001, Game 1: Philadelphia over Cleveland
6) 2015, Game 1: Golden State over Cleveland
5) 2013, Game 7: Miami over San Antonio
4) 2011, Game 2: Dallas over Miami
3) 2008, Game 4: Boston over Los Angeles
2) 2005, Game 5: San Antonio over Detroit
1) 2013, Game 6: Miami over San Antonio
What else did you think would be #1?
Bonus: Best Series: 2013- Miami over San Antonio
Many believe this is the greatest series in NBA Finals history. It had everything: a shot for the ages from Ray Allen; a historic Game 7 performance from LeBron James; crazy momentum swings from game to game. If this year’s Finals can even come close to this one, we’ll be in for a great one.
Honorable Mentions: 2010- Los Angeles over Boston; 2011- Dallas over Miami